McKINNEY, TX- The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to a report of a structure fire at 575 Virginia Hills Dr. on Monday, July 20. MFD units arrived to find that a stovetop fire had been extinguished by two fire sprinkler heads located in the kitchen. Fire investigators say the resident was frying fish with the lid on. When the lid was removed, the hot grease ignited.
No one was injured and damage was limited to the stovetop, the microwave and cabinets above it.
Safety considerations when cooking with oil:
- Always stay in the kitchen when frying on the stovetop.
- Keep an eye on what you fry. If you see wisps of smoke or the oil smells, immediately turn off the burner.
- Add food gently to the pot or pan so that the oil does not splatter.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
- If the fire does not go out or you don’t feel comfortable sliding a lid over the pan, get everyone out of your home. Call 911 from outside.