McKinney House Fire Believed to Have Been Started by an Incense Burner

380news - May 5, 2020 - McKinney - Leave a comment



McKinney house fire believed to have been started by an incense burner

Homeowner called 911 to report front door was on fire

 

McKINNEY, Texas (May 5, 2020) – The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to a report of a house fire shortly before 11 p.m. on Friday, May 1. The homeowner reported smoke started coming in the front door. When the occupants opened the door, they found the front porch on fire. The residents tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Firefighters arrived and extinguished the flames.

While conducting the investigation McKinney Fire Investigators found what appeared to be a burn mark on the brick ledge next to the door. An incense burner was found nearby in the debris.

The homeowner said he didn’t know how the burning incense got onto the porch. Damage was contained to the front of the home. No one was injured.

  • Never leave burning incense or any fire unattended.
  • Always place your burner on a heat resistant surface like a trivet or ceramic tile. The outside of your burner can get very hot.
  • Ash falling outside the incense burner is also a fire hazard.

“If you are going to use incense, it’s important to follow all safety guidelines. Incense can burn at a very high temperature increasing the risk of a fire or severe burns,” said Merit Ossian, Public Information Officer and Education Coordinator.

More safety information can be located at www.mckinneyfire.org or www.nfpa.org.

# # #

About McKinney



Advertisement

Comments

You must be to post a comment.

Site Login

Lost your password?

   Need to SignUp?

(close)

By logging in, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Site Registration

Username must be between 4 - 40 characters, letters and numbers only.

We'll send your registration email to this address. (Double-check your email address before continuing.)

(close)